It is precious and is considered to be the second most important product of the hive.
What is beeswax?
Wax made by bees is used to build the combs and for sealing the honey cells. Eight kilos of honey are needed to produce one kilo of wax.
Properties & ingredients
Consisting mainly of esters, wax contains two hundred eighty-four elements such as: vitamins, minerals, trace elements, carbohydrates, fatty acids and antioxidants. Natural beeswax has moisturizing, softening and soothing properties. It is also anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and healing.
With a presence of thousand years, beeswax had and has a wide range of uses by man:
- In pharmaceutical and cosmetic formulations, such as ointments etc.
- In candle making
- In casting and modeling
- In painting (encaustic) and batik fabrics
- In maintenance and waterproofing of leather products
- In floor polishing and general wood maintenance
- In food packaging
- In musical instrument manufacturing